Wednesday 21 November 2012

Smogcon Aftermath and the road to 2013



Welcome; after an 8 month blogging hiatus it is time to revisit the musings of 2011/12 and begin a newer, bolder, more prone to failure adventure in the wonderful world of competitive warmahordes.

I never quite met my goals in the ‘Great Troll Smogcon Adventure’, an enforced tournament absence from February to Sept meant that I missed out on the Welsh Open, Masters and the ETC.  As all good gamers know, don’t get married, it really cuts into your playing time. 

Strange though how serendipitous this 6 month sabbatical was; I had really worked hard on the Trolls, I had a Grim Angus list I was extremely happy with and a Calandra list that was certainly nearly there.  At Smogcon myself and Max had met in the final game of the 50pt Steamroller Friday night qualifier (with him progressing to the final) and then again in the top 4 on the Saturday (this time with me progressing to make the Sunday final).  Unfortunately we both fell at the first hurdle on the Sunday, Max handing PVlad to Rich Jennings on a plate with a full lubricated back passage and open invitation to enter (despite being totally in control of both the game and the scenario). I suffered the same fate at the hands of an Austrian gentleman, my own dice and an interesting moment involving some accidentally disturbed models.  It was clearly not to be and we both headed home from Wales disappointed in our final performance.

What struck me though in early March was that over the months I had been practicing, taking notes, improving my game and applying a level of focus that was totally alien to my usual gaming habits, I had never felt that the Troll lists had put me totally in control of games.  This is probably because PP has done a very good job of balancing the Troll ‘locks and units and they are one of the rare ‘fair’ factions that few people ever complain about.  The problem was that at the top end of competitions I was playing against the stuff that was a little ‘beyond the curve’.  The Cryx all star caster line-up, Khador high def infantry spam o doom and the Legion of Everbroke (Saeryn, Lylyth I am looking at you).  I am not in any way complaining about this, anyone who reads this blog knows I am a competition player and I fully expect every opponent to bring their faction’s top tier casters and units.  I just wanted to be part of that club; I wanted to feel like I was operating at the same power level as my opponents and the trolls simply weren’t doing it for me.

So, there I am, planning a wedding, busy at work, bit disillusioned with the Trolls.  I needed a pick me up, a tonic to reignite my enthusiasm for the game.  It was like someone at PP had read my letter to Santa; giant stompy robots with ridiculous potential for destruction.  Colossals were released and in a quite discreet corner of my mind a guilty little voice crossed its fingers and wished, over and over again that the Cygnar one would be a little bit naughty, a little bit under costed, something, just something to get us back in the game.  Enter the Stormwall.

The Stormwall was everything my inner demon had been praying for. It was a Cyclone, 2 Defenders and a Stormclad rolled into one.  Oh, and it had storm pods and could put own covering fire and be bonded.  Now, I like to consider myself an honest man and there are many, many people I read arguing on internet forums that this model is fine, balanced and in no way totally OP.  They are wrong, the Stormwall is bent as fuck, it is hilariously powerful and outclasses all other Colossals and Gargantuans released so far by a country mile.  But hey, I have had to spend 2 years dealing with 'apply moar banes', 'iron flesh spam' and pretty much any legion model shitting all over the rule book the rest of us have to abide by so I am pretty comfortable with this.

Now, this is not to say that the Stormwall belongs in every list, but it has altered the way I build lists. More accurately, I find myself constantly asking the question 'am I sure this wouldn't be better with a Stormwall in it?'  This question has a common follow up which is, predictably, 'Am I sure this wouldn't be better with 2 Stormwalls?'

Thus transpired my return to warmahordes.  Wedding dealt with, happily married, new job for the wife, bit of bonus spare time and a ridiculously over powered model that might just put Cygnar back into the top tier.  Next instalment, casters and lists...where did I leave that EHaley model....

No comments:

Post a Comment